Everyone wants to Root their Smartphones for one or the other reasons but Rooting, custom recoveries, custom ROMs and all things starts with unlocking the bootloader. Now, we are going to take a look on How to Unlock the Bootloader of your HTC One M9! And thankfully, HTC has made the bootloader unlocking process straightforward for all of its devices.
By unlocking the Bootloader of your HTC One M9 you will be able to root your M9 and install custom recoveries and most important of all, To Be Able to Install Custom ROMs.
The process of unlocking the bootloader is similar between all HTC devices so this guide is not limited to the new HTC One M9 only, you could use it for all HTC devices.
PLEASE NOTE: I am not RESPONSIBLE if any thing happens to your phone Do this at your own risk.
WARNING: ~You’ll void your warranty after unlocking the Bootloader
~All data will be wiped, including personal content on the internal storage such as photos, music, videos and other files. It is recommended to take a backup of all the things.
Now let’s get started!
~ Charge your phone atleast 80% [100% recommended] ~ Make a backup of the data [Optional] ~ Download the HTC One M9 Drivers from here:
~ Download ADB and Fastboot Files from here:
Name it: adb_and_fastboot_files.zip
Unlocking the Bootloader
- First of all you need to register on the HTC Dev site
- After completing the registration, you will need to verify your e-mail address by opening your e-mail from which you registered and following the simple instructions in the e-mail you have received by HTC dev.
- After you have confirmed your e-mail log in on their site.
- Boot your phone into Bootloader Mode
*Press and hold Volume + Power Button until you see LOCKED written on the top of the screen.
- Highlight “BOOT TO DOWNLOAD MODE” using Volume Down key and then press Power button to select it.
- On your PC unzip the adb_and_fastboot_files.zip that we downloaded above.
- After doing that Open Command window inside the folder by pressing: Shift+ Right Click and then select :Open Command Window here
- In the command window type/paste:
fastboot oem get_identifier_token
- You will see a long text of token. Copy this token. Right click on an empty space and select Mark. Now, highlight the block of text starting from <<<< Identifier Token Start >>>> and ending with <<<<< Identifier Token End >>>>>. Right click on the highlighted text to copy it.
- Now go to the following link: http://www.htcdev.com/bootloader/unlock-instructions/page-2
Scrolldown the bottom where it says My Device Identifier Token and paste the previously copied token here. And then Click on Submit.
NOTE: Copy and paste the token directly from Command Prompt window to the web page. DO NOT try coping it somewhere else (Example: Notepad) and then pasting it on the web page.
- If you do all of the above correct then you will receive an e-mail from HTC Dev with your Unlock_code.bin attached in it. Download the Unlock_code.bin and transfer it the folder where you extracted adb_and_fastboot_files.zip file.
- CLOSE the command prompt window and OPEN it AGAIN like you did before. Type this in the command Prompt:
fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin
- A screen will appear on your phone asking you to confirm the Bootloader unlock. Use Volume Up button to highlight Yes and select it using Power button.
Your HTC One M9 will be unlocked to fulfill your flashing and modding needs. You can dissconnect your device from your PC once it is fully booted up.To Confirm that your bootloader is unlocked, boot into bootloader mode and at the top it should be written UNLOCKED.
Voila! You can root your device now!