Today we’re here with the rooting guide of LG V20
What is Rooting/ Root?
Rooting a device means giving the user of an Android Device to change system files for various purposes.
How to root the LG V20?
Unlocking the bootloader of LG V20
This will wipe all data on your device, make sure you take a backup before proceeding
- Install ADB Fastboot on your Windows PC.
- And Also, LG Drivers from here
- Goto to Setting on your device >>> About Phone>>> Tap the Build Number five times to unlock developer setting.
- Now open Developer Settings and switch on USB Debugging and OEM Unlock
- Connect the device to your PC in PTP mode and type ‘ adb start-server’, approve the security pop up ( if any )
- Open CMD on your PC and type ‘adb reboot bootloader’ and hit Enter, this will boot your device into Fastboot mode
- Once in fast boot, enter the following command ‘fastboot oem unlock’ and hit enter
- And now you have a unlocked bootloader!
Install TWRP and Rooting the LG V20
Before rooting the device, you need to have a custom recovery installed on your Honor 8.
- Download the following files, dirtycow, recowvery-applypatch, recowvery-app_process64 and recowvery-run-as from the download section below
- Download this TWRP.img and transfer it into your phone
- Connect your LG V20 to the PC.
- Open up a command windows where you downloaded all the above files by pressing Shift+Right click
- Once command window is opened, one by one execute the commands
adb push dirtycow /data/local/tmp
adb push recowvery-applypatch /data/local/tmp
adb push recowvery-app_process64 /data/local/tmp
adb push recowvery-run-as /data/local/tmp and….adb shell
chmod 0777 *
./dirtycow /system/bin/applypatch recowvery-applypatch
once this is finished, paste the following command
./dirtycow /system/bin/app_process64 recowvery-app_process64
Dont be in a hurry, wait for it to complete, then paste these commands
adb logcat -s recowvery
Once you see successful on your screen, execute
adb shell reboot recovery
Your phone will reboot and recovery will be reflashed to stock.
This should show up permissive.
./dirtycow /system/bin/run-as recowvery-run-as
run-as exec ./recowvery-applypatch boot
Wait for it to complete
This will give you a shell with root access.
Now finally paste the following command which will install TWRP
dd if=/sdcard/twrp-3.0.2-0-beta4-h918.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/recovery
TWRP recovery is now installed on your LG V20.
Rooting the LG V20
- Download SuperSU.zip from here and place it in your device
- Boot into TWRP and flash the zip. Now reboot your device
- Once the flash is completed, youll net to clear off the data of your device from the recovery itself.
- After wiping off the data, once again flash the SuperSu.zip. Now reboot your device
- Voila! You have a rooted LG V20!